Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Holy Wow! An update!

I think I need to change the title of my blog. Because, from the frequency of my posts (read: 2), I obviously do NOT know how to use said blog. I promise to be better. I'm not good at promises, but still.

So, what's new with me? Not much. Gearing up for Spring Training. The Hubster and I leave in just 9 days for the presumably warmer Scottsdale, Arizona, where we will once again, fall under the spell America's favorite pastime. Ah, Baseball is back, folks. This year will be different, however.

Enter the first ever World Baseball Classic. We've scored tickets to a couple of games to the TRUE World Championship. As opposed to the World Series,where the only part of the "world" that competes is the US, but I digress. Unfortunately, two of the three teams I am most interested in aren't playing in Scottsdale. The US looks like they have a stellar line up, but at a glance, I'd put my money on the Dominicans. And of course, I'm just dying to check out the Cubans. Being Cuban myself, I want to know if we've got what it takes.

You see, baseball is life to most Cuban boys. There is a passion for the sport in Cuba, that goes beyond what we Americans feel for our National Pastime. In Cuba, the fans are honest. At SBC Park, were my beloved, if not so talented Giants play, the so-called fans are there to be seen. They wander the park, they talk on their cell phones. I see women at games, in heels and miniskirts. On Friday nights. In the cold. The conversations are more about whether to grab a Martini at Momo's or a glass of Cab in North Beach, than about our aging outfield. In Cuba, they come to watch a baseball game. The kids take a break from heckling players to smile and wave at a "cameraman" holding a cardboard TV camera, but then it's back to the game.

But, Aalas, only USA, Canada, and Mexico play in the First round in Scottsdale. With Gange not even on the mound for Canada, we're taking our chances with USA vs. Mexico. Rah! Rah!

Next Stop, Arizona!

No comments: